- PM saluted doctors for their efforts during Covid
- Work for 15 new AIIMS started in last 7 years: PM
- Law has been enhanced for the protection of doctors: PM
New Delhi: Greeting the medical fraternity on the occasion of National Doctors’ Day 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his gratitude towards all doctors for their work during the COVID-19 pandemic at a programme organised by the Indian Medical Association (IMA). Hailing their dedication and selfless service to humanity, PM Modi encouraged the doctors to undertake documentation of their experience during COVID-19 pandemic so that the medical communities across the world can benefit from it. Like every year, the country will be celebrating National Doctors’ Day on July 1 to honour the contributions of the doctors. The first National Doctor’s day was celebrated in the country in July 1991.
Here are some of the quotes from PM Modi’s speech:
- “Today, when the nation is fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, doctors have worked tirelessly to save lakhs of lives. There have been those doctors who laid down their lives saving the lives of others. I pay homage to all those doctors who made the supreme sacrifice,” said PM Modi.
- “During the first wave, the government had allocated 15,000 crores as a special fund to increase the health infrastructure in the nation. This year too, the budgeted allocation for health has more than doubled to over ₹ 2 lakh crores,” said PM Modi.
- “Today the number of hospitals, the number of AIIMS across the nation, the number of medical colleges have started or are being built. With these, people in the remotest parts of the nation will be able to fulfil their dreams of becoming doctors,” he further added.
- “We are always thankful to doctors and healthcare workers for their service, and hence we have brought and enhanced laws for their protection too. We have also seen in recent times that many doctors and medical practitioners have actively promoted yoga and wellness. This should have been done in the decades before too, but it is being done now,” he added.
- “Yoga and wellness is accepted the world over and it is encouraging to see how many people are now actively keen about their well-being and fitness,” said PM Modi. “Yoga should also reach all corners of the world,” he added.
NDTV – Dettol Banega Swasth India campaign is an extension of the five-year-old Banega Swachh India initiative helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. It aims to spread awareness about critical health issues facing the country. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign highlights the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children to prevent maternal and child mortality, fight malnutrition, stunting, wasting, anaemia and disease prevention through vaccines. Importance of programmes like Public Distribution System (PDS), Mid-day Meal Scheme, POSHAN Abhiyan and the role of Aganwadis and ASHA workers are also covered. Only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diahorrea and become a Swasth or healthy India. The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene.