New Delhi: Diarrhoeal disease is a leading cause of child mortality and morbidity in the world, states World Health Organization (WHO). It also adds, Diarrhoea is the second leading cause of death in children under five years old. In India, the prevalence of diarrhoea stands at 7.3 per cent, according to National Family Health Survey 5.
The irony is that this disease is both preventable and treatable. To fight diarrhoea in the state, Dettol Banega Swasth India has developed an innovative model – Diarrhoea Net Zero Programme in the state of Uttar Pradesh with an aim to prevent, promote and treat the disease in the state. Through, Dettol Diarrhoea Net Zero programme, Reckitt aims to avert over 150,000 Diarrhoea cases among under -5 children in Uttar Pradesh and improve the state’s performance in various health indices.
As a part of the initiative, Reckitt launched the Net Zero Diarrhoea Kit, which is a box full of essential items that are needed to treat diarrhoea patients including children, during the NDTV-Dettol Banega Swasth India 12-hour Lakshya, Sampoorn Swasthya Ka telethon with Amitabh Bachchan. Here’s a look at what the kit contains:
- The kit includes Dettol sanitizer and soap for keeping hands clean and preventing the spread of the infection
- It also includes a thermometer to keep a check on temperature which is induced by diarrhoea at many instances
- The box has a strip of zinc supplements and Oral Rehydration Salts as well that make sure the patient is well hydrated and rejuvenated while recovering from the disease
- The most unique thing about this kit is that it includes awareness leaflets that are designed specially to make the people aware about every aspect of things that are included in the kit
- Lastly, the kit also contains the 14-day follow up card or checklist for the parents or the person monitoring the patient. The checklist works as a reminder, which caregivers can see to ensure all the steps and procedure are well followed. This card also has the crucial six steps that one needs to follow for handwashing
Talking about the programme, Gaurav Jain, Senior Vice President Reckitt – South Asia said,
Uttar Pradesh is doing tremendous work for the upliftment of its economy and for its people. We are truly proud to have worked closely with the State Government to fulfil Honourable Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi’s vision of creating a ‘Swachh and Swasth’ India with our programs. In the last 7 years we have touched the lives of over 10 million children in Uttar Pradesh. To further strengthen this relationship, we have launched India’s first Diarrhoea Net Zero program in the state. Our vision with this program is to ensure that there are Net Zero Diarrhoeal deaths among Under 5 children in Uttar Pradesh.
Ravi Bhatnagar, Director External Affairs and Partnerships SoA Reckitt – South Asia said,
Uttar Pradesh has shown remarkable progress in several health indicators and has been recognized as the top-ranking state in incremental progress on health by NITI Aayog. Dettol Banega Swasth India, Reckitt India’s purpose programme has been a partner to the state’s development journey for the past 7 years in field of hygiene, health and sanitation. Recognizing the role of health as a foundation for development, the programme aims to further increase its depth and breadth of engagement in the state in the next 3 years.