New Delhi: Indore is India’s cleanest city for the fourth time in a row and Chhattisgarh is cleanest state for the second time, as per the ‘Swachh Survekshan 2020’ results announced by Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri at the Swachh Mahotsav being organised by the Ministry of Housing and Urban affairs (MoUHA). Gujarat’s Surat gets the second place and Maharashtra’s Navi Mumbai is at number three spot in terms of clean cities with population more than a lakh. Jharkhand is the cleanest state in the category of less than 100 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs). This is the fifth edition of the annual cleanliness survey of the country.
Indore is India’s cleanest city 4th year in a row. The city & its people have shown exemplary dedication towards cleanliness. Congratulations to MP CM @ChouhanShivraj people, political leadership & Municipal Corporation for this superlative performance. pic.twitter.com/cg3DH6PnHM
— Hardeep Singh Puri (@HardeepSPuri) August 20, 2020
Here are the top highlights of the Swachh Survekshan 2020:
- Indore, Madhya Pradesh has been declared as the cleanest city for the fourth year
- Chhattisgarh in the cleanest state in the category of states with more than 100 urban local bodies (ULBs)
- Surat in Gujarat is the second cleanest city (Population more than one lakh category)
- Navi Mumbai in Maharashtra attains the number three spot in terms of cleanliness (Population more than one lakh category)
- Ahmedabad is India’s the cleanest Mega city
- Chhattisgarh’s Ambikapur is the cleanest smallest city
- New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) is the cleanest capital city
- Bengaluru wins the Best Self Sustainability award in the Mega city category
- Jharkhand is the cleanest state in the category of state with less than 100 Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)
- Varanasi is the cleanest Ganga Town
Here are the other highlights of the Swachh Survekshan 2020 results announced today:
- Best State (More than 100 ULBs): a. Number 2: Maharashtra
b. Number 3: Madhya Pradesh
c. Fastest mover state: Odisha (jumped 6 positions since 2019)
- Best State (Less than 100 ULBs): a. Number 2: Haryana
b. Number 3: Uttarakhand
c. Fastest mover state: Assam (jumped 25 ranks since 2019)
- In cities with population less than one lakh: a. Karad in Maharashtra is the cleanest city
b. Saswad in Maharashtra got the second position in terms of clean cities in less than one lakh population
c. Maharashtra scored a hat-trick in the clean city under one lakh population with Lonavala winning the number 3 spot
- In cantonment boards: a. Jalandhar cantonment from Punjab was declared the cleanest among 62 surveyed
b. Delhi cantonment board came in second
- City with maximum citizen participation: a. Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh (Population more than one lakh)
b. Nandprayag in Uttarakhand (Population less than 1 lakh)
- City with 10-40 lakh population category: a. Cleanest city – Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
b. Best self-sustainable city – Rajkot, Gujarat c. Fastest mover city – Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- City with 3-10 lakh population category: a. Cleanest city – Mysuru, Karnataka
b. Best self-sustainable city – Bhilai Nagar, Chhattisgarh
c. Fastest mover city – Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh (jumped by 215 positions from 2019)
- Capital City Category: a. Best self-sustainable capital city – Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
b. Fastest mover capital city – Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh (Improved 95 positions from 2019)
- Best Ganga Town Category: a. Number two is Kannauj, Uttar Pradesh
b. Number three (less than 50,000 population) – Chunnar, Uttar Pradesh
- Cleanest City North zone Category: a. 50,000 to 1 Lakh population – Ganga Ghat, Uttar Pradesh
b. 25,000 -50,000 population – Nawanshahr, Punjab
c. Upto 25,000 population – Awagarh, Uttar Pradesh
- Cleanest City South Zone Category: a. 50,000 to 1 Lakh population – Palamaneri, Andhra Pradesh
b. 25,000 -50,000 population – Medchal, Telangana
c. Upto 25,000 population – Periyapatna, Karnataka
- Cleanest City West Zone Category: a. 50,000 to 1 Lakh population – Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
b. 25,000 -50,000 population – Shirdi, Maharashtra
c. Upto 25,000 population – Panhala, Maharashtra
- Cleanest City East Zone Category: a. 50,000 to 1 Lakh population – Jorhat, Assam
b. 25,000 -50,000 population – Mokukchung, Nagaland
c. Upto 25,000 population – Jiribam, Manipur
- Cleanest City East Zone Category: a. 50,000 to 1 Lakh population – Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh
b. 25,000 -50,000 population – Jashpur Nagar, Chhattisgarh
c. Upto 25,000 population – Patan, Chhattisgarh
- Cities with Best Citizen Led Initiative a. Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh
b. Kareem Nagar, Telangana
c. Sihora, Madhya Pradesh
Swachh Survekshan is a pan India annual cleanliness survey that ranks India’s cities, towns and states based on sanitation, waste management and overall cleanliness. This time the survey covered a total of 4,242 cities, 62 Cantonment Boards and 92 Ganga Towns and saw unprecedented participation of 1.87 crore citizens. This year, the format of the survey was tweaked to adopt a Swachh Survekshan League model, where instead of once in a year exercise of assessing the cities and states for its cleanliness quotient, the assessment happened throughout the year.
The Minister also interacted with select beneficiaries, swachhagrahis (Clean India Warriors), and Safai Karmis (Sanitation Workers) under the Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) from different parts of the country through video conference.
A total of 129 awards will be handed out to the top-performing cities and states. Indore has been winning the top slot for the last three years and has also won in the first two quarters of the Swachh Survekshan League announced for this year.
NDTV – Dettol Banega Swasth India campaign is an extension of the five-year-old Banega Swachh India initiative helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. It aims to spread awareness about critical health issues facing the country. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign highlights the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children to prevent maternal and child mortality, fight malnutrition, stunting, wasting, anaemia and disease prevention through vaccines. Importance of programmes like Public Distribution System (PDS), Mid-day Meal Scheme, POSHAN Abhiyan and the role of Aganwadis and ASHA workers are also covered. Only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diahorrea and become a Swasth or healthy India. The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene.
Leaving No One Behind
Delhi’s Northwest District Launches 4-Day COVID Vaccination Drive For Transgender People
Activists say misinformation, lack of proper documents and digital divide are to be blamed for the low vaccination coverage in...
5.22% Transgender Persons Vaccinated Till Now; Activists Say Misinformation Adding To Their Problems
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has also requested states to organise separate mobile COVID-19 vaccination centres or booths...
Discrimination And Barriers Make Access To Quality Healthcare A Challenge For Many Transgenders
Transgender individuals have specific healthcare needs; however, they face multiple obstacles to accessing quality health care ranging from social stigma...
Uttar Pradesh’s First Transgender-Only Toilet Built In Varanasi
According to an official at the municipal corporation of Varanasi, the operation and maintenance of the toilet complex has been...
Mental Health Explained: What Is Depression?
People who have gone through adverse life events like bereavement, psychological trauma are more likely to develop depression: WHO
Mental Health Explained: What Is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder?
PTSD is an intense physical and emotional response to thoughts and reminders of the event: CDC, United States
How Can Parents Support Children Dealing With Mental Health Issues Like Anxiety And Depression
Remember, a change in a child’s behaviour like mood swings and angry outbursts is an indication of inner turmoil, said...
Upward Trend In Suicide Cases: How Can You Identify Red Signals In Time?
Studies show that suicide is the leading cause of death among 15-29 year old in India. What compels young adults...
Each COVID-19 Surge Poses A Risk For Healthcare Workers: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
The surging Delta variant is heaping on fresh trauma as the United States and other nations begin to study Post-Traumatic...
PM Modi Launches 35 Special Crops To Address Climate Change, Malnutrition
PM Narendra Modi Launches 35 Special Crop Varieties In India: According to the PM's Office or PMO, 35 crop varieties...
Study Shows Young Generations Are Severely Threatened By Climate Change
Children will be hit much harder by climate extremes than today's adults, finds a study
20 Million Tons Of Bio-Pellets Made From Farm Stubble To Be Obtained By Power Ministry And NTPC
The power ministry will soon make it compulsory for thermal power plants to use 10 per cent biomass in which...
Estimated 57,000 Premature Deaths In Delhi Last Year Can Be Attributed To Air Pollution: Greenpeace
WHO updated its air quality guidelines for the first time in 15 years