Bhubaneswar: Biju Patnaik International Airport (BPIA), Bhubaneswar has entirely switched to green sources for its energy consumption, by installing 4MWp Ground Mounted Solar Power Plant in the operational area, making it one of India’s 100 per cent sustainable airports, said officials. As per the airport authority, Bhubaneswar airport has installed a 4MWp solar power plant in the operational area which includes 10530 PV modules of 380W each.
The 4 MW Power plant was inaugurated on Saturday (May 6), by Aparajita Sarangi, Member of Parliament from Bhubaneswar in the presence of Prasanna Pradhan, Airport Director and other officials.
The solar plant is spread over an area of 13.28 acres with a project cost of Rs 18.75 crores, said the officials in a statement.
BPIA produces around 60 per cent of the airport’s electricity requirement through its onsite solar generation and the rest 40 per cent from other green sources such as hydro energy.
Ushering into a sustainable future, BPIA witnessed a rise in natural energy generation of 935963 KWH (Solar power generation) from December 2022 to April 2023 and the total unit imported from the grid for airport consumption is 2719046 KWH, which is around 35 per cent and has attained 100 per cent utilization of renewable sources of energy in April 2023.
The airport is committed to continuously reducing energy consumption and carbon footprint through various initiatives.
Moreover, BPIA initially installed a 100KWp rooftop solar power plant on August 28 2013, which the airport eventually strengthened to 4.1 MW. BPIA which solely runs on green energy since April 2023, thus enabling a highly efficient and low-carbon future for aviation.
This sustainable initiative undertaken by BPIA is part of the airport’s efforts that reduce its carbon footprint, which propels its journey towards ‘Net Zero’ emissions.
We are delighted to achieve this key milestone in our journey towards attaining a sustainable future for BPIA. The diligent efforts of the airport in undertaking several thoughtful initiatives have paved the way to achieve this feat,” said the airport authority in a statement. As BPIA aspires to become net-zero, this landmark event further encourages us to stay committed to enhancing the airport’s operational efficiency while operating on fully renewable energy, added the officials.
At present BPI airport, Bhubaneswar has a certificate for Level 2 Carbon reduction awarded on 07.01.2020 and becomes eligible for achieving Level-3 Carbon Emission reduction.
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
NDTV – Dettol have been working towards a clean and healthy India since 2014 via the Banega Swachh India initiative, which is helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. The campaign aims to highlight the inter-dependency of humans and the environment, and of humans on one another with the focus on One Health, One Planet, One Future – Leaving No One Behind. It stresses on the need to take care of, and consider, everyone’s health in India – especially vulnerable communities – the LGBTQ population, indigenous people, India’s different tribes, ethnic and linguistic minorities, people with disabilities, migrants, geographically remote populations, gender and sexual minorities. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign will continue to raise awareness on the same along with focussing on the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children, fight malnutrition, mental wellbeing, self care, science and health, adolescent health & gender awareness. Along with the health of people, the campaign has realised the need to also take care of the health of the eco-system. Our environment is fragile due to human activity, which is not only over-exploiting available resources, but also generating immense pollution as a result of using and extracting those resources. The imbalance has also led to immense biodiversity loss that has caused one of the biggest threats to human survival – climate change. It has now been described as a “code red for humanity.” The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene. Banega Swasth India will also be taking forward the dream of Swasth Bharat, the campaign feels that only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diahorrea and the country can become a Swasth or healthy India.