New Delhi: As the national capital – New Delhi prepares for the state elections 2020, citizens of Delhi’s residential welfare associations launched the ‘Citizens Green Manifesto for a Smart and Sustainable Delhi’ 2020. The manifesto has been prepared by two Delhi environment-based NGOs – New Delhi Nature Society and Green Circle with the motto of making the city cleaner and greener.
According to the NGOs, this green manifesto is a roadmap and approach to tackle pollution at every level in the city – be it air, water or solid waste management. ‘We need all political parties contesting for Delhi elections to adopt these 10 demands in their vision documents and action plans for the next 5 years of government,’ reads the green manifesto.
Key Demands Of A Green Manifesto For Delhi Elections 2020
- The manifesto seeks reduction in air pollution levels drastically in order to meet the national standards for safeguarding public health
- A proper roadmap by the government in power for zero waste at landfills and strict implementation of waste segregation and solid-waste management rules. The government should adopt the practice of community composting of wet waste in MCD & DDA parks, manifesto demanded
- Along with waste, the manifesto also urged for strict implementation of the ban on single-use plastic in the city
- The manifesto also asked to include the environment as a mandatory subject in the school curriculum for all ages
- Moreover, the green manifesto also urged for an Income tax rebate for people who use metro or buses for commuting and tax exemptions for restaurants and hotels for promoting Eco-friendly products
- Increase the tree cover with native species of Delhi NCR by another 5 per cent and develop City forests, biodiversity parks instead of artificial theme parks and amusement parks. Moreover, the manifesto asked for a blanket ban on the felling of trees
- The green manifesto also said that new technologies must be explored for turning waste into useful products like tiles for footpaths
- The manifesto also said that many modern public toilets that were built are lying unused due to electricity connection, water and sewage connection, so these must be made usable
- Phase-out fossil fuels and promote electric transport in the city
10. Ban all kinds of firecrackers on all occasions and stringent penalties for sellers/users of crackers
Officials must be made accountable for environmental targets. These green laws should be implemented in letter and spirit, further reads the green manifesto.
A spokesperson from NGO Green Circle adds,
The green manifesto has been prepared with the help of people from different walks of life, it represents the demands of Delhi and its people.
@AamAadmiParty @INCIndia @BJP4India Please consider this Green Manifesto for #Delhi State Elections 2020, compiled by @GreenCircle20 and @NDNS_HQ with inputs from many people.@ArvindKejriwal @kgahlot @bahardutt @kanchikohli @vikranttongad @MRTB_India @AQI_India @URJADelhi pic.twitter.com/N9jWObm6ZU
— New Delhi Nature Society (@NDNS_HQ) January 17, 2020
An official from New Delhi Nature Society NGO said that the physical copies of this manifesto have been shared with all the contesting parties and hopefully these will be taken into consideration.
Assembly elections in Delhi are scheduled for February 8, with Chief Minister Kejriwal and his AAP (Aam Aadmi Party) bidding for re-election. Results for the Delhi elections will be declared on February 11.
Leaving No One Behind
Delhi’s Northwest District Launches 4-Day COVID Vaccination Drive For Transgender People
Activists say misinformation, lack of proper documents and digital divide are to be blamed for the low vaccination coverage in...
5.22% Transgender Persons Vaccinated Till Now; Activists Say Misinformation Adding To Their Problems
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has also requested states to organise separate mobile COVID-19 vaccination centres or booths...
Discrimination And Barriers Make Access To Quality Healthcare A Challenge For Many Transgenders
Transgender individuals have specific healthcare needs; however, they face multiple obstacles to accessing quality health care ranging from social stigma...
Uttar Pradesh’s First Transgender-Only Toilet Built In Varanasi
According to an official at the municipal corporation of Varanasi, the operation and maintenance of the toilet complex has been...
Mental Health Explained: What Is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder?
PTSD is an intense physical and emotional response to thoughts and reminders of the event: CDC, United States
How Can Parents Support Children Dealing With Mental Health Issues Like Anxiety And Depression
Remember, a change in a child’s behaviour like mood swings and angry outbursts is an indication of inner turmoil, said...
Upward Trend In Suicide Cases: How Can You Identify Red Signals In Time?
Studies show that suicide is the leading cause of death among 15-29 year old in India. What compels young adults...
Each COVID-19 Surge Poses A Risk For Healthcare Workers: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
The surging Delta variant is heaping on fresh trauma as the United States and other nations begin to study Post-Traumatic...
Depression Can Be Classified As Serious Illness In Context Of COVID-19 Pandemic: Gujarat High Court
The Gujarat High Court set aside the cancellation of registration and admission of an engineering student by a government college...
World Has Never Been More Threatened Or Divided, We Must Wake Up: UN Chief
UN Secretary General sounded an alarm over the COVID-19 pandemic, a climate crisis pummeling the planet
World Facing COVID-19, Fragility, Conflict, Climate Change; We’re At Turning Point: UNGA
Challenges of climate change and the pandemic keep people awake at night, said UNGA President
India’s First Framework For Air Quality Forecast, SAFAR, Accepted Globally: Project Director
NCAP seeks to achieve a 20 to 30 percent reduction in particulate matter concentrations by 2024
Opinion: Climate Change Is A Healthcare Emergency
Injuries and deaths due to extreme weather events are likely to increase manifolds as a result of climate change