New Delhi: As the national capital – New Delhi prepares for the state elections 2020, citizens of Delhi’s residential welfare associations launched the ‘Citizens Green Manifesto for a Smart and Sustainable Delhi’ 2020. The manifesto has been prepared by two Delhi environment-based NGOs – New Delhi Nature Society and Green Circle with the motto of making the city cleaner and greener.
According to the NGOs, this green manifesto is a roadmap and approach to tackle pollution at every level in the city – be it air, water or solid waste management. ‘We need all political parties contesting for Delhi elections to adopt these 10 demands in their vision documents and action plans for the next 5 years of government,’ reads the green manifesto.
Also Read: Install Smog Towers At Connaught Place, Anand Vihar In Three Months: Supreme Court To Central And State Government
Key Demands Of A Green Manifesto For Delhi Elections 2020
- The manifesto seeks reduction in air pollution levels drastically in order to meet the national standards for safeguarding public health
- A proper roadmap by the government in power for zero waste at landfills and strict implementation of waste segregation and solid-waste management rules. The government should adopt the practice of community composting of wet waste in MCD & DDA parks, manifesto demanded
- Along with waste, the manifesto also urged for strict implementation of the ban on single-use plastic in the city
- The manifesto also asked to include the environment as a mandatory subject in the school curriculum for all ages
- Moreover, the green manifesto also urged for an Income tax rebate for people who use metro or buses for commuting and tax exemptions for restaurants and hotels for promoting Eco-friendly products
- Increase the tree cover with native species of Delhi NCR by another 5 per cent and develop City forests, biodiversity parks instead of artificial theme parks and amusement parks. Moreover, the manifesto asked for a blanket ban on the felling of trees
- The green manifesto also said that new technologies must be explored for turning waste into useful products like tiles for footpaths
- The manifesto also said that many modern public toilets that were built are lying unused due to electricity connection, water and sewage connection, so these must be made usable
- Phase-out fossil fuels and promote electric transport in the city
10. Ban all kinds of firecrackers on all occasions and stringent penalties for sellers/users of crackers
Also Read: Delhiites To Get ‘Bharat Darshan Park’ Where Replicas Of Famous Indian Monuments Will Be Built Using Waste
Officials must be made accountable for environmental targets. These green laws should be implemented in letter and spirit, further reads the green manifesto.
A spokesperson from NGO Green Circle adds,
The green manifesto has been prepared with the help of people from different walks of life, it represents the demands of Delhi and its people.
@AamAadmiParty @INCIndia @BJP4India Please consider this Green Manifesto for #Delhi State Elections 2020, compiled by @GreenCircle20 and @NDNS_HQ with inputs from many people.@ArvindKejriwal @kgahlot @bahardutt @kanchikohli @vikranttongad @MRTB_India @AQI_India @URJADelhi pic.twitter.com/N9jWObm6ZU
— New Delhi Nature Society (@NDNS_HQ) January 17, 2020
An official from New Delhi Nature Society NGO said that the physical copies of this manifesto have been shared with all the contesting parties and hopefully these will be taken into consideration.
Assembly elections in Delhi are scheduled for February 8, with Chief Minister Kejriwal and his AAP (Aam Aadmi Party) bidding for re-election. Results for the Delhi elections will be declared on February 11.