New Delhi: The third wave of the Covid pandemic driven by the Omicron variant had resulted in a record surge in Delhi in early 2022, followed by a relative dip in cases during successive months, but as the year draws to an end, all eyes are on the fresh threat, proving many experts right that “Covid is not out of the world yet”. The pandemic, the worst since the Spanish Flu of 1918, had wreaked havoc globally in 2020 and 2021 and Delhi was one of the worst-hit cities, particularly during the deadly second wave when the death toll hit through the roofs as the capital was left scrambling for hospital beds and literally gasping for breath.
Also Read: “Don’t Panic, India Is Preparing For Potential COVID-19 Outbreak”: COVID Panel Chief Dr N.K. Arora
After two years of the mayhem, 2022 largely had been easy for people in Delhi as daily cases, positivity rate, death count and hospital admission figures, have all come down significantly by the end of the year.
However, although people were hoping to breathe easy while welcoming 2023, a new Covid scare may be looming on the horizon.
The next 40 days are going to be crucial as India may see a surge in COVID-19 cases in January, official sources said on December 28, citing the pattern of previous outbreaks.
Covid cases have lately seen a surge in China and some other countries, prompting both the Centre and the Delhi government to recalibrate their strategies for combating the pandemic.
Mock drills were held at health facilities across India on December 27 to check operational readiness to deal with any spurt in COVID-19 infection, with Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya saying the country has to remain alert and prepared as cases are rising in the world.
Also Read: India Prepares For Plausible COVID-19 Outbreak, Conducts Mock Drills At Hospitals
Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said the city government-run hospitals are “fully equipped” to fight any surge in Covid cases on a day mock drills were conducted at LNJP Hospital and various other medical facilities in the capital as well.
Mr Sisodia also asked people not to panic, saying primary data suggests that the new BF.7 sub-strain of the coronavirus, which is causing a surge in infections in other countries, is similar to previous variants.
The mock drill assessed bed availability, manpower, referral resources, testing capacity, medical logistics, telemedicine services and medical oxygen availability, among other aspects.
He had said,
At the LNJP Hospital, there are 2,000 beds and 450 of those are dedicated to COVID-19. If need arises, we can dedicate all 2,000 beds for COVID-19… We can also increase this number by using nearby banquet halls and add an additional 500 beds for COVID-19 fight, so there would no shortage.
During the second wave, all Covid hospitals were swamped with patients, and the LNJP Hospital, the mainstay of Delhi’s fight against the pandemic, also saw a rush of patients during the third wave.
The number of daily cases in Delhi had touched a record high of 28,867 on January 13 during the third wave of the pandemic which was largely due to the highly transmissible Omicron variant of the coronavirus.
Also Read: “Wear Mask, Wash Hands…”: On Mann Ki Baat, PM Modi Urges People To Be Vigilant Amid Surge In COVID-19 Cases
The city recorded a positivity rate of 30.6 per cent on January 14, the highest during the third wave. The daily cases count has been on the decline after that surge.
As daily cases steadily dipped in months following March, authorities on April 2 had lifted the penalty of Rs 500 for not wearing face masks at public places. On April 2, Delhi had logged 114 COVID-19 cases with a positivity rate of 0.71 per cent and zero death due to the viral disease.
Many doctors had then said the “move was not wise” and should have been done in a “phased manner”.
Doctors at leading hospitals in Delhi had also concurred that while the number of cases has significantly declined, “Covid is not out of the world yet”.
On April 22, Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) made wearing masks in public places mandatory again, and eventually decided to stop levying the penalty after September 30.
Delhi has recorded over 2,007,000 Covid cases and more than 26,520 deaths since the pandemic started in early 2020. The number of daily cases has remained below 20 and the positivity rate below 1 per cent since mid-November, according to official data.
Also Read: ‘Mask Up, Maintain Social Distancing, Avoid International Travel’, Indian Medical Association Issues Advisory On COVID-19
However, in the wake of surge in cases in some countries, doctors and experts have advised to wear masks in public places and in crowded locations, more so, when currently there are no restrictions for gatherings, and huge crowds are expected at tourist spots and public landmarks like the India Gate on New Year’s Eve and New Year Day.
Referring to the surge in COVID-19 cases in some countries, the Union Health ministry recently underlined that it was necessary that requisite public health measures are put in place in all states and Union Territories to meet any exigencies.
The Delhi government on December 26 approved a budget of Rs 104 crore for hospitals to procure general medicines as part of preparations to deal with emergency situations amid a surge in cases abroad.
During a review meeting on the COVID-19 situation on December 22, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had issued instructions to send all positive cases for genome sequencing and increase precaution dose coverage and manpower in hospitals.
Also Read: Bharat Biotech’s Nasal COVID Vaccine For Adults Gets Centre’s Nod, To Be Availabile In Private Hospitals
He had also directed officials to take prior approval for procurement of essential items needed and inspect machines in all hospitals.
Some experts say the BF.7 sub-strain should not worry India too much as a lot of people have developed immunity against the virus — either through vaccination or previous infection — unlike China where people have low immunity due to tough restrictions.
Among other healthcare sector decisions, the Delhi government on December 13 had announced that it will provide 450 types of medical tests free of cost at its hospitals and health centres from January 1. At present, 212 medical tests are provided free of cost by the city government, officials said.
CM Kejriwal had said,
Healthcare has become very expensive. Many people cannot afford private healthcare. This step will help all such people.
Also Read: BF.7 Variant Of Coronavirus Not Worrisome For India, Assures Senior Scientist Rakesh Mishra
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
NDTV – Dettol have been working towards a clean and healthy India since 2014 via the Banega Swachh India initiative, which is helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. The campaign aims to highlight the inter-dependency of humans and the environment, and of humans on one another with the focus on One Health, One Planet, One Future – Leaving No One Behind. It stresses on the need to take care of, and consider, everyone’s health in India – especially vulnerable communities – the LGBTQ population, indigenous people, India’s different tribes, ethnic and linguistic minorities, people with disabilities, migrants, geographically remote populations, gender and sexual minorities. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign will continue to raise awareness on the same along with focussing on the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children, fight malnutrition, mental wellbeing, self care, science and health, adolescent health & gender awareness. Along with the health of people, the campaign has realised the need to also take care of the health of the eco-system. Our environment is fragile due to human activity, which is not only over-exploiting available resources, but also generating immense pollution as a result of using and extracting those resources. The imbalance has also led to immense biodiversity loss that has caused one of the biggest threats to human survival – climate change. It has now been described as a “code red for humanity.” The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene. Banega Swasth India will also be taking forward the dream of Swasth Bharat, the campaign feels that only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diarrhoea and the country can become a Swasth or healthy India.