Prime Minister’s flagship Swachh Bharat Mission, which had pushed for building toilets and stopping open defecation, has now also put the spotlight on making high tourism and spiritually important places into examples of cleanliness.
A list of 100 places has been drawn up, but first the big push will be on the top ten iconic locations where cleanliness levels will be brought at par with international standards. The list includes:
- Ajmer Sharif Dargah, Ajmer, Rajasthan
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Golden Temple, Amritsar, Punjab
- Jagannath Puri, Odisha
- Kamakhya Temple, Guwahati, Assam
- Meenakshi Temple, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Manikarnika Ghat, Varanasi
- Taj Mahal, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Tirupati Temple, Andhra Pradesh
- Vaishno Devi Shrine, Jammu & Kashmir
The NDTV-Dettol Banega Swachh India campaign is doing its bit by surveying these iconic locations and drawing up an agenda for each one of these landmarks – urgent steps which need to be taken if these are to be made truly swachh.
From simple steps like regular removal of garbage and machine cleaning, to overhauling areas around the locations, decongesting roads, building pavements and creating better drainage.Once these ten iconic places have been made into examples of cleanliness, the focus will be on the rest of the 90 on the list. Since each of these places get lakhs of visitors., the cleanliness drive here will hopefully spark a movement across the country to make our surroundings clean and hygienic.