New Delhi: A 24-year-old sanitation worker died and another suffered from suffocation after they inhaled toxic fumes while cleaning a deep sewer in Shahdara on Sunday, police said. Ravi died in the incident that took place near a BSES office at the CBD ground in Karkardooma, police said. They added that Sanjay (35), who suffered from suffocation, is undergoing treatment at a local hospital. Police said a private contractor had engaged five workers, including Ravi and Sanjay, to clean a 15 feet deep sewer.
Also Read: 801 Workers Died Cleaning Sewers In Country Since 1993, Says National Commission for Safai Karamcharis
The work to clean it was given by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), they said. The workers did not have any safety gear, police said. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Amit Sharma said the matter was reported around 1 pm after which a police team rushed to the spot and found that two men were stuck inside the sewer. The team then pulled them out by using ropes and rushed them to a nearby hospital, he said.
Ravi was declared brought dead by doctors and Sanjay, whose condition is critical, is undergoing treatment at the LNJP hospital, he added.
Also Read: Curse On Society That People Still Dying Cleaning Sewage, Says National Human Rights Commission’s Chief
A case was registered at Anand Vihar police station on the complaint of a labour against the private contractor, a senior police official said. The contractor is absconding and an investigation has been initiated into the matter, he said. Ravi, was the first worker to enter the sewer. When he didn’t come out after sometime, Sanjay went inside, police said.
The other workers called the police after they both did not come out after a while, they said. A worker alleged that the contractor told them that they would get paid Rs 350 per day for the job.