New Delhi: As a tribute to Mahatma Gandhi, on his 148th birthday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will felicitate citizens who have actively been a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan for last three years. The swachhta awards will be given event at Vigyan Bhavan in the capital city today at an event organised by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. The government will honour about 20 individuals and organisations in seven categories. People, who have made significant contributions in several areas of Clean India Mission like building toilets, developing effective waste management techniques, turning region open defecation and conducting massive cleanup drives, will be given the swachhta awards by the dignitaries present at the event.
Following is a list of people and organisations likely to receive the prestigious awards:
- In the areas of waste management category, a Resident Welfare Association (RWA) in Mysuru and the Roseland Housing Society, Pune are expected to receive the award for making their respective societies garbage free.
- Under the educational institute category, Kasturba Gandhi Balika Awasiya Vidyalaya, Ambikarhas been chosen and the Swacch Ambikapur Sahakari Samiti has been selected in the Self-Help Group category for women empowerment and livelihood generation by converting garbage into wealth.
- For making Swachh Bharat Abhiyan viral on social media, Facebook group ‘My Delhi Keep It Clean’ will awarded under the voluntary citizen action.
- KRIBHCO, Fertiliser Cooperative is likely to get award for making compost from municipal solid waste.
- A Sikkim Monastery also to be felicitated for Zero waste generation.
- Besides the award ceremony, another significant announcement as part of the Rashtriya Swachhta Diwas is likely to be the declaration of Gujarat as an open defecation free (ODF) state. With Gujarat declaring itself ODF, it will become the sixth state in the country to attain this title after Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Kerala.