There is little doubt that for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan to work, India first needs to solve its waste management problem. Be it solid urban waste, sewage or chemical and industrial waste, in India, every waste is mismanaged. So, instead of constructing landfill sites, given existing ones are operating way past their lifespan, experts say that the government should look at innovative methods to recycle waste. Despite the huge strides India is making globally in several spheres, one area that has been completely ignored for long is cleanliness.
Our country generates about 62 million tonnes of trash every year. 10 million tonnes of garbage is generated in just the metropolitan cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Kolkata. However, the problem is not waste generation, the problem is that the waste generated is not being treated well. To overcome this challenge, the government along with the state government and local bodies is set to launch a mega waste management drive on June 5 that is the World Environment Day. The aim behind this drive is to bring about behaviour change among citizens so that people can understand the concept of waste segregation and treat waste in a scientific way. The awareness and education campaign will take place across 4,000 cities on June 5. The campaign will continue for four months till October 2.
1. Next time you throw waste out of your car, remember this!
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 28, 2017
2. Show some commitment people!
— Swachh Bharat Urban (@SwachhBharatGov) May 31, 2017
3. A small step can make a big difference
— Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (@MoHUA_India) May 31, 2017
4. Compost makes plants happy and can fight India’s waste woes effectively
— Radha Mohan Singh (@RadhamohanBJP) May 30, 2017
5. India can become swachh, if we say no to open defecation
— Anushka Sharma (@AnushkaSharma) May 30, 2017
6. Cleanliness begins at home, period
— Swachh Bharat Urban (@SwachhBharatGov) May 30, 2017
7. Plastic menace is one of the major causes that is making waste management an herculean task for the country. Fight it out!
On Mother's Day , let's say sorry to her for killing millions of innocent animals everyday .. with plastic !!! pic.twitter.com/sHBLOxLmm4
— Juhi Chawla (@iam_juhi) May 14, 2017
8. Remember, Earth is the only place we have to live, keep it swachh
— Jitendra Lal (@Jitulaljamnagar) May 31, 2017
9. The only way is the #Swachh way!
— Swachh Indore (@SwachhIndore) May 19, 2017
10. Believe it or not, almost 3 million truckloads of untreated garbage is disposed off daily by municipal authorities across the country in an unhygienic manner. If waste management is not done properly then India will drown in its own waste. Take charge!
— Civic Sense Game (@CivicSenseGame) May 23, 2017