New Delhi: Every year April 22 celebrated as the ‘Earth Day’, as it marks the birth of the modern environmental movement dating back to 1970. With the aim to make people aware about the issues plaguing the planet and ways to protect and preserve the ecosystem. The day is celebrated with activities around the world and global leaders come together to discuss the issues related to sustainable development, climate change and degradation of the environment. This year, the theme of Earth Day 2021 is ‘Restore Our Earth’ and it is being celebrated for three days from April 20 to 22. The aim is to initiate climate action where everyone has a role to play:
1. Clean-up Surroundings: It’s time to take small and localised actions that have an impact on environment. Undertake clean up drives or plogging (a new trend where picking up trash is combined with jogging) to not just improve the health quotient but also reverse the damage being done to the natural habitat.
2. Ditch The Meat And Opt For Plant-Based Diet To Reduce Carbon Footprint: The kind of food we eat also contributes to the carbon footprint, which is essentially defined as the amount of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere as a result of the activities of a particular individual, organization, or community. Every stage of growing, rearing, farming, processing, transporting, storing, cooking and disposing of the food can add to greenhouse emissions. According to United Nations Climate Change Report, plant-based foods and sustainable animal-sourced food could free up several million square kilometres of land by 2050 and reduce global CO2 emissions by up to eight billion tonnes per year?
3. Change Habits: One can reduce the carbon footprint considerably by making small changes to the daily routine. For example:
a. Cut down pollution from vehicles by opting to walk or ride a bike for smaller distances and switching to vehicles using alternative fuels like electric vehicles in the long term.
b. Turn off lights when not in use. Replace incandescent light bulbs with more energy efficient options like compact flourescent (CFLs) or LEDs (Light-emitting diode).
c. Eat locally-produced, organic food as transporting food from a distance, whether by truck, ship, rail or plane, and cooling to keep foods fresh in transit, from spoiling, require fossil fuels.
d. Save water, take shorter showers and use a water-saving shower head
4. Save Paper: One of the other big ways to help save the environment is to go completely paperless. Opt for online billing and save trees.
5. Say No To Plastics: According to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), around the world, one million plastic drinking bottles are purchased every minute, while 5 trillion single-use plastic bags are used worldwide every year. Today, the world produces 300 million of plastic every year, as per United Nations Environment. That in simple terms is basically equivalent to the weight of entire human population. So ditch the single-use plastic completely such as polythene bags, straws, cups, bottles, to name a few, instead GO opt for reusable items.
6. Save Our Oceans: As per the Biological Diversity Organisation facts, around 100,000 marine animals are killed by plastic bags annually. World Economic Forum (WEF) said that there could be “more plastics than fish (by weight) in the ocean by 2050 if no action is taken immediately”.
7. Switch To Cleaner Energy At Home, Go Solar: To restore earth, we need to restore the healthy balance of carbondioxide (CO2). Solar panels are capable of generating power with zero emissions. Installing solar panels on your home helps combat greenhouse gas emissions and reduces our collective dependence on fossil fuel.
8. Adopt Composting: Instead of throwing the food waste in the dustbin opt for composting. Considered as one of the easiest waste management techniques, composting is the simplest forms of recycling that involves everyday kitchen waste. Experts say that just by segregating, recycling and composting, a family of four can reduce their waste from 1000 Kg to less than 100 kg in a year’s time.
9. Say Yes To Meal Preps: Another way to reduce your carbon footprint is meal prep (a concept of preparing whole meals or dishes ahead of schedule). It is one of the biggest ways in which you can help the environment. Moreover, instead of throwing the excess food in the dustbin, freeze and reuse the leftovers.
10. Adopt 3 R’s: Lastly, adopt the three R’s – Reduce, Recycle & Reuse to cut down on the amount of waste generated and conserving natural resources, landfill space and energy.
NDTV – Dettol Banega Swasth India campaign is an extension of the five-year-old Banega Swachh India initiative helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. It aims to spread awareness about critical health issues facing the country. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign highlights the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children to prevent maternal and child mortality, fight malnutrition, stunting, wasting, anaemia and disease prevention through vaccines. Importance of programmes like Public Distribution System (PDS), Mid-day Meal Scheme, POSHAN Abhiyan and the role of Aganwadis and ASHA workers are also covered. Only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diahorrea and become a Swasth or healthy India. The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene.
|Jammu And Kashmir|
|Dadra And Nagar Haveli|
|Andaman And Nicobar Islands|
Leaving No One Behind
Delhi’s Northwest District Launches 4-Day COVID Vaccination Drive For Transgender People
Activists say misinformation, lack of proper documents and digital divide are to be blamed for the low vaccination coverage in...
5.22 Per Cent Transgender Persons Vaccinated Till Now; Activists Say Misinformation, Lack Of Digital Knowledge Adding To Their Problems
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has also requested states to organise separate mobile COVID-19 vaccination centres or booths...
Discrimination And Barriers Make Access To Quality Healthcare A Challenge For Many Transgenders
Transgender individuals have specific healthcare needs; however, they face multiple obstacles to accessing quality health care ranging from social stigma...
Uttar Pradesh’s First Transgender-Only Toilet Built In Varanasi
According to an official at the municipal corporation of Varanasi, the operation and maintenance of the toilet complex has been...
Mental Health Explained: What Is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder?
PTSD is an intense physical and emotional response to thoughts and reminders of the event: CDC, United States
How Can Parents Support Children Dealing With Mental Health Issues Like Anxiety And Depression
Remember, a change in a child’s behaviour like mood swings and angry outbursts is an indication of inner turmoil, said...
Upward Trend In Suicide Cases: How Can You Identify Red Signals In Time?
Studies show that suicide is the leading cause of death among 15-29 year old in India. What compels young adults...
Each COVID-19 Surge Poses A Risk For Healthcare Workers: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
The surging Delta variant is heaping on fresh trauma as the United States and other nations begin to study Post-Traumatic...
Depression Can Be Classified As Serious Illness In Context Of COVID-19 Pandemic: Gujarat High Court
The Gujarat High Court set aside the cancellation of registration and admission of an engineering student by a government college...
U.N. Says World Likely To Miss Climate Targets Despite COVID Pause In Emissions
There is now a 40 per cent chance that the average global temperature in one of the next five years...
Make The Choices That Help Make A Difference, John Kerry, Special US Envoy On Climate Change Crisis
In an exclusive interview with NDTV, US climate envoy John Kerry talks about climate change emergency
Climate Change Biggest Global Challenge, India Committed To Combat It: Union Environment Minister
Speaking at the launch of Climate Action and Finance Mobilisation Dialogue (CAFMD) under India-US Climate Clean Energy Agenda 2030, Union...
Rajasthani Artisan Creates Ganesh Idols From Environment-Friendly Materials
Unlike idols made out of synthetic materials which cause harm to water bodies after their immersion, eco-friendly idols that artist...