NDTV-Dettol Banega Swasth Swachh India NDTV-Dettol Banega Swasth Swachh India
  • Home/
  • News/
  • Mumbai Airport Switches To Green Energy Sources

News

Mumbai Airport Switches To Green Energy Sources

This green transition to renewable energy ensures a reduction of around 1.20 lakh tonnes of CO2 equivalent every year, thereby moving closer to the airport’s target of becoming net zero by 2029

Mumbai Airport Switches To Green Energy Sources
The Mumbai airport operator set up a 1.06 Megawatt rooftop solar power plant, which eventually scaled up to 4.66 Megawatt

Mumbai: Adani group-AAI operated Mumbai airport on Monday said it has switched to green energy sources, fulfilling 95 per cent of its requirement from hydro and wind and the rest 5 per cent from solar power. The facility witnessed a rise in natural energy procurement with 57 per cent green consumption in April to a whopping 98 per cent between May to July, and finally attained 100 per cent utilisation of renewable sources of energy in August, the private airport operator said in a statement.

Mumbai Airport was the first in India to launch hybrid technology which has been solely running on green energy since April, thus enabling an efficient and low carbon future for aviation, as part of efforts to reduce carbon footprint, it said.

In April this year, the airport enhanced its capacity usage of green energy and deployed a 10Kwp hybrid solar mill consisting of 2 Kwp turbo mill and 8 Kwp solar PV modules with an estimated minimum solar and wind energy generation of 36 Kwh/day, according to the statement.

Also Read: Renewable Energy India Expo To Bring Rs 800 Crores Investment Opportunity For Biogas

This green transition to renewable energy ensures a reduction of around 1.20 lakh tonnes of CO2 equivalent every year, thereby moving closer to the airport’s target of becoming net zero by 2029, it stated.

Out of the total 100 per cent, the airport procures around 5 per cent of its electricity requirement through its onsite solar generation and the rest 95 per cent from other green sources such as hydro and wind energy, Mumbai Airport said.

The airport operator set up a 1.06MW rooftop solar power plant, which eventually scaled up to 4.66 MW, it said.

Also Read: Taking Steps To Make India A Market For Carbon Credits: Union Minister R K Singh

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

NDTV – Dettol have been working towards a clean and healthy India since 2014 via the Banega Swachh India initiative, which is helmed by Campaign Ambassador Amitabh Bachchan. The campaign aims to highlight the inter-dependency of humans and the environment, and of humans on one another with the focus on One Health, One Planet, One Future – Leaving No One Behind. It stresses on the need to take care of, and consider, everyone’s health in India – especially vulnerable communities – the LGBTQ population, indigenous people, India’s different tribes, ethnic and linguistic minorities, people with disabilities, migrants, geographically remote populations, gender and sexual minorities. In wake of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the need for WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) is reaffirmed as handwashing is one of the ways to prevent Coronavirus infection and other diseases. The campaign will continue to raise awareness on the same along with focussing on the importance of nutrition and healthcare for women and children, fight malnutrition, mental wellbeing, self care, science and health, adolescent health & gender awareness. Along with the health of people, the campaign has realised the need to also take care of the health of the eco-system. Our environment is fragile due to human activity, which is not only over-exploiting available resources, but also generating immense pollution as a result of using and extracting those resources. The imbalance has also led to immense biodiversity loss that has caused one of the biggest threats to human survival – climate change. It has now been described as a “code red for humanity.” The campaign will continue to cover issues like air pollution, waste management, plastic ban, manual scavenging and sanitation workers and menstrual hygiene. Banega Swasth India will also be taking forward the dream of Swasth Bharat, the campaign feels that only a Swachh or clean India where toilets are used and open defecation free (ODF) status achieved as part of the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2014, can eradicate diseases like diahorrea and the country can become a Swasth or hea

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Highlights: Banega Swasth India Launches Season 10

Reckitt’s Commitment To A Better Future

India’s Unsung Heroes

Women’s Health

हिंदी में पढ़ें

This website follows the DNPA Code of Ethics

© Copyright NDTV Convergence Limited 2024. All rights reserved.